Click the photo above for a larger image.
This large early 20th century gambrel barn and silo is located at the Grand Geneva Resort in southeastern Wisconsin. Joseph Kayne took the photo on December 25, 2002.
The 1300-acre resort, only 90-minutes from Chicago, began as two farms first purchased by Playboy Enterprises and opening as the Playboy Hotel and Country Club in 1968. Although not designed by famed Wisconsin architect Frank Lloyd Wright, his influence is unmistakable in the Prairie style design elements of the main lodge.
Playboy Enterprises sold the resort in 1982 and ultimately it was purchased by the Marcus Corporation in 1994. Since then improvements include a full service fitness center and spa, a large ballroom, indoor swimming pools and tennis courts and renovation of 355 guest rooms and 65 vacation club villas.
Posted December 12, 2004.